Re: XSL Optimizations

Subject: Re: XSL Optimizations
From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 Jun 1999 22:18:19 +0200
* Lars Marius Garshol

| An idea that has been floating around in my head is to have a hash
| table that maps element type names to a list of templates that may
| match elements of the given type.

* Kay Michael

| SAXON determines for each pattern whether it is able to match only
| elements of a particular type; it then maintains one list of
| "specific" patterns for each element type, and one list of "generic"
| patterns.

This is almost what I had in mind, although not quite. In my head, the
select patterns

  (1) para
  (2) para|blockquote|programlisting
  (3) listitem/para

would make the 'specific' table look like this:

  para -> 1,2,3 (already sorted in the right order, whatever that is)
  blockquote -> 2
  programlisting -> 2

This should shorten the 'generic' list a bit, although at some cost
during stylesheet parsing. It might help a little, though.

--Lars M.