Re: New XSL Optimization

Subject: Re: New XSL Optimization
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:54:41 -0400
Francis Norton wrote:

> Of course, none of the steps are exactly trivial, and the whole approach
> is a hack compared to the approach contained in the Forest paper.

I don't think it is a hack. I just don't see it as a fully described
algorithm. The devil is in the details.

> Did the designers of the xml Schema consider Forest Theory as a basis
> for their proposal, given their unfulfilled mandate to look at the issue
> of schema evolution?

At least two of the schema working group members are knowledtable about
forest automata theory but that group is being asked to do a hell of a lot
of stuff from people with widely varying backgrounds. Nobody has time to
do all of the appropriate "homework."

> Alternatively, have the Forest proponents considered offering an xml
> schema standard together with some open source code (XSLT, or
> JavaScript+DOM) as a proof-of-concept?

Well forest proponents are not a team or a political party. Murata-san has
shown how forest automata can be used to develop schemas that are context
sensitive. I don't think anyone has implemented a full schema-evolution
solution.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are men
who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without
thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the roar of its many
waters. - Fredrick Douglass
 http://www.informamerica.com/Articles/Quotes.htm