Re: New XSL Optimization

Subject: Re: New XSL Optimization
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:18:00 +0100

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Francis Norton wrote:

> > Did the designers of the xml Schema consider Forest Theory as a basis
> > for their proposal, given their unfulfilled mandate to look at the issue
> > of schema evolution?
>
> At least two of the schema working group members are knowledtable about
> forest automata theory but that group is being asked to do a hell of a lot
> of stuff from people with widely varying backgrounds. Nobody has time to
> do all of the appropriate "homework."

Had we but world enough, and time / doing all the 'homework'
would be no crime...

> > Alternatively, have the Forest proponents considered offering an xml
> > schema standard together with some open source code (XSLT, or
> > JavaScript+DOM) as a proof-of-concept?
>
> Well forest proponents are not a team or a political party. Murata-san has
> shown how forest automata can be used to develop schemas that are context
> sensitive. I don't think anyone has implemented a full schema-evolution
> solution.

Fair enough! I suspect the rest of this conversation belongs more on
xml-dev - once I've either sorted out or despaired of my current XSLT /
xml-schema performance problems.

--
Francis Norton.

Air Rage - a "flight *and* fight" reaction?