parameters or ancestor attributes ?!?!?!

Subject: parameters or ancestor attributes ?!?!?!
From: Dan Diodati <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 16:44:52 -0700
I need to use a value of an upper node, but it doesn't seem to work.

I have tried to use ancestor to access upper templates, pass the
section's name attribute through a parameter from
one template to another, and set variables to use in other templates. So
far I have had no luck, the processor
keeps telling me that the variable is not defined, etc. I am using
lotusxsl_1_1_17 to process my xsl.
Here is some of the code I've tried, any suggestions, better ways??

I have some XML code which looks like:

<SECTION name=test1>
   <FIELD><NAME>subtest1</NAME></FIELD>
   <FIELD><NAME>subtest2</NAME></FIELD>
   <FIELD><NAME>subtest3</NAME></FIELD>
</SECTION>

<SECTION name=test2>
   <FIELD><NAME>subtest1</NAME></FIELD>
   <FIELD><NAME>subtest2</NAME></FIELD>
   <FIELD><NAME>subtest3</NAME></FIELD>
</SECTION>

I am trying to get an out put which has the value of the ancestor node.
I want an out put to look like:

test1.subtest1
test1.subtest2
test1.subtest3
test2.subtest1
test2.subtest2
test2.subtest3

XSL code that I tried:

<xsl:template match="SECTION">
<xsl:call-template name="FIELD">
   <xsl:with-param name="x">
     <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
   </xsl:with-param>
</xsl:call-template>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="FIELD" name="FIELD">
<xsl:param name="x" select="default value"/>
 <xsl:value-of  select="$x"/>             <!--    I have also tried
<xsl:copy-of select="$x"/>  here    -->
  <xsl:text>.</xsl:text>
<xsl:value-of select="NAME"/>
</xsl:template>