Re: XT: I/O of iso-8859-1 characters?

Subject: Re: XT: I/O of iso-8859-1 characters?
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:23:21 -0400 (EST)
At 12 Aug 1999 18:16 +0200, Kai Großjohann wrote:
 > We use XT to convert XML to HTML for presentation.  As we are in an
 > iso-8859-1 environment, our XML files are wont to contain iso-8859-1
 > characters.  We don't mind whether the resulting HTML also uses
 > iso-8859-1 characters or whether it uses "&auml;" style entities.

One day you should be able to use the result-encoding attribute on
xsl:stylesheet to specify the preferred encoding for the result tree.
XT doesn't yet support that (according to xt.htm in the current XT
distribution), so you're currently out of luck.

If you are producing HTML files, you can leave off the third argument
on the XT command line and pipe the XT output into a conversion
program, such as uniconv from Basis Technology or, I believe, a GNU
"recode" program (which I haven't found yet), to translate UTF-8 into
ISO 8859-1.

Another option is to specify UTF-8 as the character set of your HTML
by putting the following in the <HEAD> of your HTML document:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html;charset=utf-8">

You'll have to try it to see if it works with your browsers.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632