Re: Using Entity References in XSL Templates

Subject: Re: Using Entity References in XSL Templates
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:31:46 GMT
> In general, I do think there's an argument for allowing entity references
> to be passed through.

There are lots of useful features in SGML that were thrown out to make
XML. One can always argue that in some cases some particular feature
should have been kept, but on balance I think one has to argue that the
simplification was a success.

You are asking for the return of SDATA entities.

SDATA are just one such feature. They are occasionally useful but
were presumably thought not worth the trouble they cause.

In XML, an entity reference should be identical in semantics to the thing
it is refering to. If that isn't the case you should encode it via some
other mechanism. So in this case nbsp is unicode character 160 and
_every_ XML application will treat these in the same way, so there is no
need (so the argument goes) to construct a mechanism for chosing one
form over the other in the output.

David