how do you get non-xhtml data through the XSL processor?

Subject: how do you get non-xhtml data through the XSL processor?
From: Evan Eustace <evan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:30:19 -0500
We allow users to put chunks of HTML in the database, we call these
chunks wildcards.
In our XSLT stylesheet we want to be able to output those chunks as-is
to the output document.

In my XML source document I have will non-xhtml formatted html inside
CDATA tags:

<wildcard>
<![CDATA[
not-well-formed html
]]>
</wildcard>

but now when I do this:

<xsl:value-of select="wildcard"/>

the output has all of the angle brackets/chevrons, whatever you want to
call them in the HTML, formatted as entity chars like:
&lt; &gt;

so the above is output as:

&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;
not-well-formed html
&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

When i remove the CDATA, and make the HTML well-formed, I get the same
problem.

The output of the processor is set to HTML.

Help !?! Anyone?

Thanks,
-Evan