RE: differentiation between text() and entities???

Subject: RE: differentiation between text() and entities???
From: David_Marston@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:37:52 -0400
Continuing Z. Uzmi's thread:
>Interestingly and surprisingly, if I match on html tag and write html tag
>to the output, I get the desired result but I really don't want to write
>the output enclosed between <html> and </html>. I am unable to get a good
>explanation of this behavior.

Did you look at the three methods of xsl:output in Chapter 16 of the spec?
There is a special case where the outermost tag is <html>, which your
example seems to invoke. If you want to generate HTML, use xsl:output to
specify that method, and then the processor will make use of special code
for HTML output. If you want to generate plain text, set method="text"
in xsl:output. Either way, your choice of encoding for the output will
affect what happens to any #169 characters that are destined to be
inserted in the output stream. For example, if you say
<xsl:output method="text" encoding="ISO-8859-1"/>
then the processor should be willing to put out characters 128-255 in
direct binary form, because you told it that whatever will use this
output will understand ISO-8859-1 encoding.
.................David Marston