Re: xsl:message inside of xsl:variable

Subject: Re: xsl:message inside of xsl:variable
From: Warren Hedley <w.hedley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:48:47 -0400
Oliver Becker wrote:

> What is the expected output?
> I tested this with Saxon, XT and LotusXSL/Xalan, and only Saxon seems
> to do the job the way I wanted it:
>
> a message
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>some text
>
> I.e. "a message" is sent directly to the output (stderr), message contains
> "some text".

This is certainly the most useful behaviour for the stylesheet,
but the spec says "The xsl:message instruction sends a message in a
way that is dependent on the XSLT processor.", so I don't think the
other processors are necessarily wrong.

In any case, I'm not sure that Saxon is actually giving you the behaviour
that you want. If you make the following modification to your stylesheet

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:variable name="message">
      <xsl:message>a message</xsl:message>
      <xsl:text>some text</xsl:text>
   </xsl:variable>

   <xsl:message>real message</xsl:message>  <!-- new -->
   <xsl:value-of select="$message" />
</xsl:template>

you get:

a message
real message
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>some text

It would appear that the message isn't actually being stored as you
suggest.

--
Warren Hedley