RE: [xsl] XML to RTF with XSL?

Subject: RE: [xsl] XML to RTF with XSL?
From: Linda van den Brink <lvdbrink@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:49:42 +0100
> > It probably wouldn't be too hard (If I could remember any dsssl) to
> > write a dsssl stylesheet for XSL FO in which case Jade could
> > read in an
> > XSL FO file and spit out rtf, mif, tex or whatever.
> >
> > There was talk at one time of making the jade back ends directly
> > available to an XSL rather than DSSSL front end but I don't know
> > if anything came of that, and writing a DSSSL sheet to read
> XSL FO is
> > no doubt easier than modifying the sources of Jade:-)
> >

> Good idea! My DSSSL knowledge must be very rusty (it was never very
> extensive to start with) and I haven't dived into XSL-FO yet
> either, but I
> wouldn't mind practising these skills. I think I'll try to
> cook something up
> and then maybe others in the field could jump in and
> finish/improve it.

I looked into this, but don't see how it can be done. If I have a formatting
object like this:

<fo:block font-size="11pt" "font-family="sans-serif">a paragraph</fo:block>

I would want to make a rule in my DSSSL stylesheet like:

(element fo:block (make paragraph font-size="11pt"
font-family="sans-serif"))

[sorry for any errors]

I want to *pull* the font-size and font-family information from the
attributes on fo:block, but I can't do that in DSSSL, or can I?

If I need to re-enter all the formatting information instead of being able
to pull them from my formatting objects document, then I'd be better of just
doing an XML-to-RTF with a DSSSL stylesheet only, instead of using xsl:fo in
between. Right?

Linda