Re: [xsl] International Characters in attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] International Characters in attributes
From: "Michael Beddow" <mbnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:20:11 -0000
On Friday, February 09, 2001 7:45 PM
Michael Storm wrote:

[DC] > >You might want to output HTML in iso-8859-1 rather than utf-8.

> That definitely solves the problem, however, I am not able to
hardcode the
> encoding type into the XSL, since the application could be viewed by
two or
> more different viewers at the same time (possiby one viewing a
french
> version, and another in japanese and another in english).

Which argues in favour of utf-8 for everyone, provided the clients
support it. The apparently strange values you quoted before will
display as the correct characters if the browser is set to utf-8.
Otherwise you have to get messy and deliver different encodings to
different clients (if you are indeed sending Japanese to those
Japanese users: if you're simply sending Latin script to people in
Japan whose browsers may be expecting Shift-JIS or EUC you'll may get
away with it - depends just what accented characters you want to
send).

Michael