Re: [xsl] must be a trivial problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] must be a trivial problem
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:09:46 -0700 (MST)
stefano debenedetti wrote:
> as I can't find any information on what's going wrong here, seems I'm the only one
> who can't figure it out.
>
> With xalan-j_2_0_D01 every time I try to transform an XML with a DOCTYPE declaration
> of any kind from the command line I get an error pretty much like this:
>
> java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -174
>         at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:878)

Since it's an XML parsing problem coming from Xerces, not an XSLT
transformation processing problem coming from Xalan, I'd say you probably
have an encoding problem. Not to mention a bug in how Xerces handles it.

Are you *sure* your documents are actually encoded as UTF-8 or did you
just declare them to be UTF-8 without actualy saving them as UTF-8? Point
us to a representative XML file (don't copy/paste it here), or run it
through a different parser and see if you get a more helpful error
message.

   - Mike