Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:43:21 +0700
Alexey Gokhberg wrote:

> For
> vendors and users of non-Java XSLT processors XSLT 1.1 offers NOTHING in
> addition to XSLT 1.0.

What about the ECMAScript binding?

The reason that only ECMAScript, Java and IDL have bindings in the spec
is that they these are the only programming languages for which there
are standard DOM bindings.  Our language binding is based on the DOM
(I'm not a big DOM fan, but W3C standards have to work together and that
makes DOM the only realistic choice) and the DOM only has standard
bindings for ECMAScript, Java and IDL.

In the longer term, the W3C's XML Protocol Activity may provide the
basis for a truly language independent way of implementing extension
functions.

James