RE: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:00:20 -0000
> Adam Van Den Hoven wrote:
>
> > If I write a document that I can say is 100% XSLT
> > compliant, then I demand that when I use that document in a
> processor that
> > is 100% compliant the resulting output is exactly as I have
> specified.

James Clark replied:
> This is not the case in XSLT 1.0.  For example:

I would add to what James said, a reminder that XSLT 1.0 does not define any
notion of a stylesheet being "100% XSLT compliant". There are things that
are correct and whose behavior is fully defined; there are things that are
correct whose behavior is only partially defined (eg.. alphabetic sorting);
there are things that are correct that the processor is allowed to ignore
(e.g. xsl:output); there are things that are errors that the processor is
obliged to signal; and there are things that are errors where the processor
is allowed to implemented a defined recovery action.

I can imagine a definition of stylesheet compliance (portability would be a
better word) that restricts the stylesheet to use only things in the first
category, but at present no such definition exists.

Mike Kay