RE: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments
From: "Clark C. Evans" <cce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:18:16 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Kaganovich, Yevgeniy  (Eugene) wrote:
> : There is strong de-coupling between core SQL and any
> : particular "language
> : binding" (I assume you mean SQLC, SQLJ and the like).
>
> Not to get off-topic, but how do you explain JDBC from Java's point of view?
> I don't think there are many people who have problems with escaping into SQL
> query from inside Java... or are there?

You have your analogy exactly backwards.

XSLT is not and should never be a general purpose programming
language.  It is a language for describing XML transformations,
much like SQL, is a language for describing database queries.
As such, there is no problem for people escaping into XSLT
from inside Java.  However, it is just bad engineering to
do it the other way around.

Just about every database company would cry foul play if a
proprietary language (like Java) were allowed to be embedded
in SQL....  In the same way, xsl:script, which allows embedding
Java (and other languages) in XSLT is a very bad idea.

Clark