Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments -Examples please

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments -Examples please
From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:49:27 -0700
> Uche Ogbuji writes:
>
>  > Oh boy.  I'm not very familiar with either (we use our own
>  > lightweight docbook stylesheet with nary an extension function).
>  >
>  > I guess some good comes of it:  I have a handy place to start in finding
>  > common extension functions to catalog.
>
> I am amazed that you can survive without an extension to make multiple
> files from one document. I needed this about a week after I first
> tried to write XSLT.

I think you misunderstand me.  I wasn't saying I don't use extensions.  I was
just noting that in the case of our simple Docbook transforms, we don't use
extensions.  This was by way of excuse for not knowing that the sumo Docbook
stylesheets are littered with what I called David's straw man.

However, FWIW, my first encounter with the need to generate multiple output
documents was when developing a presentation.  However, I implementd the
ft:write-file extension element, and proceeded to never use it in my
presentation slides.  I decided that it was more natural to do the transforms
in XSLT, and queue up the slides for transform in Python.

> For what its worth, I maintain 7504 lines of XSL code to support the
> TEI DTD (for both FO and HTML), and I find that
>
>  - I rely on multiple output files
>  - I do not use node-set for daily work (but frequently in one-off hacks)
>  - I call a Date function from Java, but it is not essential
>  - I have just started to use Saxon's system-id, to save passing in
>    the file name as a parameter
>  - If someone gave me a function to test if an XML file exists before
>    I call `document()' on it, I'd be very happy indeed (any offers?)
>
> otherwise I am portable (though I do use most of XSLT, which means
> that eg Sablotron cannot cope)

Hmm.  But this sounds at odds with David's claim.  I might be
misunderstanding, but it sounded as if the TEI stykesheets were positively
riddled with extension-selection trees.

uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               +1 303 583 9900 x 101