Re: [xsl] ANNOUNCE: Petition to withdraw xsl:script from XSLT 1.1

Subject: Re: [xsl] ANNOUNCE: Petition to withdraw xsl:script from XSLT 1.1
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:50:54 +0000
Hi Francis,

>> How would you like to see the easy distribution of extension
>> functions being addressed?
>
> For me, I'd like to see things like *plucks examples from this
> morning's thinking-in-bath session*: RDF parsers (RDF has multiple
> elements or attribute serialisation options) or - for XSL FO or SVG
> - exsl:text-depth($text, $box-width, $font-name) distributed as exsl
> libraries.

Sure, but what about distributing extension functions that do things
like returning the current date or working out whether a directory
exists on the file system? Things that can't be done with EXSLT?

Or is your position that such things should only be allowable through
(community-based or implementer-based) extension functions?

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison