Re: [xsl] ANNOUNCE: Petition to withdraw xsl:script from XSLT 1.1

Subject: Re: [xsl] ANNOUNCE: Petition to withdraw xsl:script from XSLT 1.1
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:53:58 +0000

Jeni Tennison wrote:

> Sure, but what about distributing extension functions that do things
> like returning the current date or working out whether a directory
> exists on the file system? Things that can't be done with EXSLT?
>
> Or is your position that such things should only be allowable through
> (community-based or implementer-based) extension functions?

In a word, yes.

With or without xsl:script, exslt will succeed or fail as a community
project.

If it succeeds then community standards for other language mappings can
too.

If it fails, but java and javascript are blessed in the spec, then XSLT
will suffer a possibly irreversible blow to its portability, and to the
portability of related technologies.

But hey, please don't feel that I'm trying to place the entire future of
inter-platform processing on your shoulders or anything, Jeni :)

Francis.