Re: [xsl] xbind:module == xsl:script + an essential layer of indirection

Subject: Re: [xsl] xbind:module == xsl:script + an essential layer of indirection
From: "Clark C. Evans" <cce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 04:07:35 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> Perhaps it was the situation where the scripts are in a separate,
> imported stylesheet?  Namespace resolution is local to a particular
> entity, so if just because you have the prefix 'date' in your script
> module stylesheet doesn't mean that you have to use it in the
> stylesheet importing it.  The XSLT processor uses the local mapping.
> So I could have:
>
> --- mymodule.xsl ---
> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:date="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extensions";>
>    <xsl:script implements-prefix="date" language="perl"
>                src="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extension/impl/dates.pl"/>
>    <xsl:script implements-prefix="date" language="javascript"
>                src="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extension/impl/dates.js"/>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
> ---
>
> and then have:
>
> --- mystylesheet.xsl ---
> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:d="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extensions";>
>    <xsl:value-of select="d:today()" />
> </xsl:stylesheet>
> ---

Ok.  I stand corrected here.  You do have to read
the WD carefully to construct this meaning.

> So, as Steve said, the above are *completely* identical.  The only
> difference is the amount of typing that you have to do to associate a
> piece of code with a particular namespace.

Hmm.  Ok.  Steve, I owe you an apology for not doing
my proper homework on this one.  ;)

  (a) this still only has a single "resolution" mechanism
      for discovering implementations

  (b) it'd be cool if the WD used an example with a non-trivial
      uri so that this was more clear.

Thanks!

Clark