[xsl] RE: Xalan-J2 outputing extra META tag in HTML

Subject: [xsl] RE: Xalan-J2 outputing extra META tag in HTML
From: Scott_Boag@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:56:03 -0500
> In my personal opinion the only bug is in the spec. It does not say which
> encoding the processor should output when there is no encoding defined in
> the <xsl:output> node.

Hmm... you are right that it doesn't actually say to use a default encoding
of UTF-8 for method="html", that I can find.  (It could still be buried
somewhere in there).

I think all other processors are defaulting to UTF-8, so I suspect that is
what we should stick to.

I'm cc'ing to the xsl-list.  Do any of you folks have an opinion on this?

-scott

                    "Christian
                    Aberger"             To:     <xalan-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    <Christian@Ab        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)
                    erger.at>            Subject:     RE: Xalan-J2 outputing extra META tag in HTML

                    03/06/2001
                    11:04 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    xalan-dev

Hi Dimitry,

Bingo. You are right. I do not use the Java-, but the Xalan-C version, but
suppose the solution is the same. I used now
<xsl:output method="html" indent="yes" encoding="ISO-8859-1"/>
as output method, and could not see any problem on any of the browsers that
before made the problems with UTF-8. IE5 seemed to work OK with both
ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8. With "ISO-8859-1" all tested browsers now seem to do
their job properly with Xalan-C 1.1 output.

So I suppose it is not a Xalan problem, but an xsl-template+browser
problem.
I think there might not be a need to make the <META...> tag output
optional,
because the spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt) explicitly states that the
META
element should be added by the processor after the <head> element (16.2).

In my personal opinion the only bug is in the spec. It does not say which
encoding the processor should output when there is no encoding defined in
the <xsl:output> node. There are the options:
- do not output a meta element at all (not really what the spec says
..."should add a META...")
- default to an encoding that also older M$-browsers understand ?
- default to the encoding used in the stylesheet itself
- default to "UTF-8"

So what should the implementation choose ?

wfR ChrisA