Re: [xsl] implements-prefix vs implements-namespace

Subject: Re: [xsl] implements-prefix vs implements-namespace
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:54:45 +0000
Hi Mike,

>> Namespace declarations for a particular element cannot be
>> introduced from other documents in any way.
>
> Yes they can; an XSLT 1.0 erratum makes it clear that you can copy a
> namespace node, so you can do
>
> <out>
>   <xsl:copy-of select="document('namespaces.xml')//namespace::*"/>
> </out>

Sorry - the lack of context makes my statement ambiguous. I was
talking about what namespace nodes were present in a particular XML
document/stylesheet, not what namespace nodes could be created in a
result tree.

Putting it another way: given a document, the only namespace nodes
that are present on a particular node in that document are those that
are declared within the document.

In particular, the namespace nodes that are present on an XSLT
instruction are only those namespace nodes that are present in the
stylesheet itself - ones on stylesheets that are included or imported
are not relevant.  This was something that Dave P. was asking about,
and that I was replying to.

[I guess the only exception is if the stylesheet is included into
another stylesheet as a general entity, but this doesn't really
happen.]

Naturally a result document can have namespace nodes on it from
anywhere you like.

Cheers,

Jeni

---