Re: [xsl]   vs

Subject: Re: [xsl]   vs
From: David_Marston@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:57:39 -0400
Alan Alda asks:
>I am using   in my sheets to insert a whitespace-
>however, in Michael Kay's excellent book, I came
>across &#xA0. They look like they do the same thing,
>but which is a more standard way of inserting an
>  in the resulting HTML?

I suppose #160 is slightly more likely to work, but any reasonable
XML parser should handle both and produce a byte containing
10100000 (in binary) either way. &#NNN; is a notation where NNN are
taken as decimal digits, while &#xNNN; causes the digits to be taken
as hexidecimal, also known as base 16. In hex (as its friends call it),
"A" is the digit for ten, so A0 is a ten in the sixteens place plus
zero in the ones place, converting to 10*16 + 0 = 160 decimal.

Character #160 should not be confused with #32, which is the "normal"
space character. If <xsl:value-of select="' '" /> has a "normal"
space between those single quotes, that's what you'll get.
.................David Marston