Re: [xsl] OT: my curious students wonder about demand for XSL, XSLT, XML sk ills at an entry level

Subject: Re: [xsl] OT: my curious students wonder about demand for XSL, XSLT, XML sk ills at an entry level
From: Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:47:40 +0200
On Wednesday 17 October 2001 19:21, Bach, Jeff wrote:
> I'm teaching an HTML/web programming class at a local tech college.  The
> question of demand came up in a class.

I think everyone calling himself a "web applications programmer" today needs
at least basic XML skills - having a good understanding of the strengths of
XML for data and document exchange is a must in my book.

I've had good results recently using Cocoon 2 (xml.apache.org) in a classroom
setting (tech college) to teach XML publishing skills using XSLT.
Seeing that it is relatively easy to dynamically publish simple XML documents
in various formats was a good motivation for the students to learn more, and
helped them to understand the reasons for storing content in XML.

--
 -- Bertrand Delacrétaz, www.codeconsult.ch
 -- web technologies consultant - OO, Java, XML, C++