Re: [xsl] Case conversion in XSL?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Case conversion in XSL?
From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:43:50 +0100
cutlass wrote at 18 Oct 2001 11:00:12 +0100:
 > maybe some of the Unicode expert lurkers here could comment, i would expect
 > Unicode to have some sort of awareness of uppercase and lowercase where its
 > appropriate.

Uppercase, lowercase, titlecase, and a file of exceptions.

The "General Category" field of the UnicodeData.txt file [2] in the
Unicode Character Database [3] for any version of Unicode categorises
each character.  The allowed values include values for "Letter,
Uppercase", "Letter, Lowercase", and "Letter, Titlecase" (as well as
"Letter, Modifier", "Letter, Other", and lots of non-letter category
identifiers).

There's also a SpecialCasing.txt file in the Unicode Character
Database for the many:1 and 1:many case mappings (such as the
lowercase 'ß' mapping to the two uppercase characters 'SS') and
locale-specific mappings (such as the lowercase mapping of 'I' to
&#x131;, LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS I, in Turkish and Azerbaijani).

Unicode Technical Report #21, Case Mappings, [1] provides more
information.

Regards,

Tony Graham
XML Technology Center - Dublin                mailto:tony.graham@xxxxxxx
Sun Microsystems Ireland Ltd                       Phone: +353 1 8199708
Hamilton House, East Point Business Park, Dublin 3            x(70)19708

[1] http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr21/
[2] http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.html
[3] http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeCharacterDatabase.html