Re: [xsl] Case conversion in XSL?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Case conversion in XSL?
From: "cutlass" <cutlass@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:19:58 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> cutlass writes:
>  > if one does a typical application that is developed in the 4 primary
>  > european languages ( german, french, english, italian ) then there is a
>  > clear concept.
> ooh, so many assumptions! the wrath of Khan be upon you.
>
> perhaps someone would like to step back and give an unequivocal,
> copper-bottomed, situation where case-munging by program is Good and
> Necessary thing? most examples are spurious.

i am the first one to agree with you !  and i won't labor the point at it is
courtesy functionality we are talking about.....

but lets step into the real world, where people pay money for stuff.

when a client has 120 web developers and content creators, throughout
europe, and you sell them a content management solution that has xslt as a
central concept and mechanism, and required for them to slightly learn, it
would be nice to have some features that are amenable to the end users
preconceptions, there are plenty of other languages that try for an upper
and lower case solution, and it certainly can be smoke and mirrors
implementation.

but i dont see the problem if Unicode has these mappings, and an additional
function can be added that takes care of 80% of the situations ?

I agree that the core of XSLT should be mean and lean, with the future
proposed extensions stuff in XSLT 2.0 to deal with meatier functionality
requirements, but i think there is a scope of having some core functionality
added to XSLT, mainly text manipulation functionality, that would make the
standalone use of XSLT more desirable.

cheers, jim fuller