Re: [xsl] reliability of MSXML

Subject: Re: [xsl] reliability of MSXML
From: Daniel Veillard <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 15:24:04 +0100
On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 01:52:59PM -0000, Michael Kay wrote:
> > As a result, while Saxon 6.4.4 does evering all right, MSXML
> > 3.0 give me the following error:
> >
> This is the result of a concerted attempt on my part to cast Microsoft in a
> bad light: I deliberately put features in my product to make it appear that
> MSXML is full of bugs. ;-)
>
> MSXML3 is conformant to XSLT 1.0 here, Saxon isn't. Saxon is implementing a
> feature from the XSLT 1.1 working draft. If I had known how long it would
> take to get XSLT 2.0 out, I would probably have rolled Saxon back to the 1.0
> level, but I didn't and I didn't, and it's too late now!

  It's not too late to *at least* emit a warning when the
conversion occurs. Coming from a Working Group member this reflects
badly, no ? Why should others take the pain of fixing their bugs
when you don't. IIRC Microsoft rolled back this feature, if they
can do it to their customer base in name of the compatibility,
I don't see how you can justify your decision.

Daniel

veillard@xxxxxxxxxx  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/