Re: [xsl] position of a child node

Subject: Re: [xsl] position of a child node
From: "Carmelo Montanez" <carmelo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:11:20 -0500
Maybe I will be more specific .....

> > and my context node is "testcase" and I want to find out the position of
the
> > descendant text node "some text here",
>
> what do you mean by position? An XPath such as *[2]/*[1] ? Do you want
> this as a string, or do you want the node returned, or what?

Its position within the sub-tree (numerical position)

<mainElement>
 <testcase>
  <child1>first text</child1>
  <child2>
    <child21>
        this is the text node for I want which I want to find its position
and it
       contains three dots (...)
    </child21>
  </child2>
</testcase>
<testcase>
  <child1>first text</child1>
  <child2>
    <child21>
       some other text that I don't want
      <child211>
          This is the text node for I which want to find its position and it
          contains three dots (...)
      </child211>
    </child21>
  </child2>
 </testcase>
</mainElement>

As I am traversing this tree  with a statement like

<xsl:template match = "testcase">

At that point my context node will be "testcase" and I want to know its
position() (its order position , ie. 1, 2, 3, 4 and so forth) within that
node-set.
Note that when my context node is the second "testcase", then that
position within the tree is different since the tree is sligthtly different.

> > I hope I can get an answer to these questions:
> I think you need to ask more specific (or at least better specified)
> questions.

    Actually I thought it was rather clear, but maybe it was not.

Carmelo