Re: [xsl] replacing a string value - copy-of

Subject: Re: [xsl] replacing a string value - copy-of
From: Jörg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 01:58:38 +0100
> Jorg (sorry for mutalating the "o" :->).

That's no problem. But the German umlauts can be easily (and more correct)
be transformed by adding an e:
ä -> ae, ö ->oe, ü -> ue   - This is mostly be spoken in the same way too
(pronounciation).

> <xsl:template match="node() | @*">
>   <xsl:copy>
>     <xsl:apply-templates select="node() | @*"/>
>   </xsl:copy>
> </xsl:template>
>
> The node() function matches everything except attributes, which means we
> don't have to specify "* | text() | everything-else".

That's correct, but I normally don't need it. And I had already the effect
that the DTD will be copied to the output-XML. I think this is only
Xalan-related, but one reason more for using "*|@*|text()".

> Like Jorg said, because it is a template that matches everything, you need
> be careful about the "priority", so that any other templates you define
will
> not be overridden by the more general template.  You can do this, first of
> all, by placing the general template first in your stylesheet.  You can
also
> set <xsl:template ... priority="-1"/> (replacing -1 with some number as
need
> be) if you have problems.

I don't mean the priority, because such a template should automatically
always have a very deep priority. I never ran into problems by not using
priority. The more problem I see is <xsl:apply-templates/>. Normally the
built-in templates are used, but they will be overloaded with the template
above. This could cause problems and from me so called side effects. Because
of this I normally don't use <xsl:apply-templates/>.

Regards,

Joerg