[xsl] Mysterious 'invalid character'

Subject: [xsl] Mysterious 'invalid character'
From: "Ingo Mittendorf" <Ingo.Mittendorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:58:01 -0000
I'm mystified by a problem that arises when I want to generate HTML from XML
with XMLSpy (with the MSXML parser).

The relevant file *is* well-formed, apparently, and XMLSpy's Browser View
(direct display of the XML file) works absolutely fine. However, when I want
to generate 'true' HTML, I get this error message:

    This file is not well-formed.
    An invalid character was found in text content.

The cursor is at the end of a line. No invalid character there that I would
be aware of.

I had a similar problem before, where (after hours) it turned out that the
offending character apparently was the line-feed itself. When I deleted it,
and re-inserted it, everything was suddenly fine.

However, this didn't work this time round. When I delete the line-feed (and
the line-feeds before) I still get the error message and the cursor moves
further up, and up... (and always hovers at the end of the line).

Has anybody encountered the same problem and knows a solution for this
annoying problem?

Ingo Mittendorf