RE: [xsl] Re: XPath incompatibilities

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: XPath incompatibilities
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:48:28 -0000
> Miloslav Nic wrote:
> > 3. Additional numeric types have been introduced, with the effect
> > that arithmetic may now be done as an integer, decimal, or
> > single-precision floating point calculation where previously it was
> > always performed as double-precision floating point. The most
> > notable difference (subject to resolution of an open issue) is that
> > 10 div 4 is now an integer division, with the result 2, rather than
> > a floating point division yielding 2.5.
> >
> > I would prefer very strongly 1.0. Integer division as the default
> > behavior is unnatural.

In fact integer division was removed from the F&O draft as a late change,
and the "incompatibilities" appendix should have been updated to reflect
this change. 10 div 4 will now give a result that is the decimal value 2.5.
The draft currently leaves open what the result of 10 div 3 should be (i.e.
what the precision and scale of the result are): I'm sure the final spec
will have more to say on this.

Mike Kay