[xsl] FO: Repeating Cell Content

Subject: [xsl] FO: Repeating Cell Content
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 16:05:14 -0600
I think the answer is "no", but I'm wondering if there is any way in the
current XSL-FO spec to create a table in which the content of a
particular cell of a body row automatically repeats on every page that
cell flows onto?

In my case, I have documents with tables where the first cell may span
many rows and cross one or more pages. The requirement is to have the
text in this cell, which functions semantically as a "row header" repeat
automatically on each page. There is no way in the style sheet to
predict which instances might break across pages or how many pages they
might break across.

I can't think of any way to do this with XSL-FO out of the box (although
I'm sure it would possible for FO implementations to provide extensions
to do it). Is my analysis correct?

Thanks,

Eliot Kimber
ISOGEN International, LLC