Re: [xsl] MSXML / NBSP problem and resolution

Subject: Re: [xsl] MSXML / NBSP problem and resolution
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:14:03 -0700 (MST)
Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
> Changing the encoding in the output method node does not seem to affect
> the meta tag inserted by MSXML right after the head, as long as the
> output method="html".

In that case, I'm guessing there's still someting specific to the way you're
going about it that is causing this to happen, because I am 95% sure most
folks using MSXML don't have this issue. Hopefully one of the MSXML techs will
notice this thread and contribute a more helpful reply.

> As I said earlier, it can be overridden by adding a response.charset at
> the top of the ASP page.  The meta tag still appears, but presumably IE
> ignores the meta tag if the charset is explicitly defined in the http
> header.

Yes, that's standard/required behavior (preferring the actual header over the
equivalent meta tag). Same goes for XML.

> The question then, is MSXML 3.0 broken because it adds the meta node
> into the result set if output method="html"?

No, it is encouraged to do that by the XSLT spec.

   - Mike