Re: [xsl] Fwd: trouble with namespaces

Subject: Re: [xsl] Fwd: trouble with namespaces
From: S Woodside <sbwoodside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:30:35 -0500

On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 04:09 AM, Michael Kay wrote:

I can't find it in the FAQ .. I think it may be the
source of my
problem? I assumed that the default namespace would apply to
everything
in the stylesheet, including xpaths.

It's in the FAQ all right, see http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/N5536.html#d4932e970

That FAQ entry doesn't even use the word "XPath" ... The real source of confusion for me was the non-interaction between the default namespace and the XPaths. So the FAQ for me would be

"Why doesn't the default namespace seem to be working in my XPaths?"

But I sympathize with your problem. The FAQ has become too big, and it
contains answers to many infrequently-asked questions.

In this case, I'll add that the questions are sometimes not phrased very well and the answers are sometimes very roundabout. I say sometimes deliberately, on many issues the FAQ has been extremely helpful ...

I think it would be a good idea if we could decide on a "top ten most
frequently asked questions" to go on the front page. Here's my starter
list:

* How do I output NBSP?
* How do I output an ampersand in a URL?
* How do I update a variable?
* How do I match elements in the default namespace?
* How do I eliminate duplicate values?
* How do I group on common values?

* How come my procedural approach isn't working ;-) * What's the difference between XSLT and XPath? The relationship?

The second one is critical to me as I have found so far that the majority of my confusion comes from the use of XPath.

simon

No doubt the other four will be asked by someone later today...

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx