Re: Marked up data with sectbreaks (was Re: [xsl] XSLT FAQ ideas)

Subject: Re: Marked up data with sectbreaks (was Re: [xsl] XSLT FAQ ideas)
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:47:19 -0500
At 6:25 PM -0500 2/17/03, Wendell Piez wrote:

So far's I know that's a new solution or one not seen in public anyhow.

Cool. I invented something! In case anyone wants to see details look at <http://www.cafeconleche.org/cafe.xsl>

The other known solutions are (1) indexing nodes to sectbreaks (generate-id(preceding::sectbreak[1]) works pretty well), then pulling them when matching sectbreaks ... documented somewhat in the FAQ under "flat" (flat structure to hierarchy). An alternative is a forward stepwise tree walk, in which a template matching a sectbreak has you proceed through the following sibling nodes one by one until you get a new sectbreak.

The problem gets more complicated (much more) if your breaks are not all at the same level.

Yes, I can see that. Fortunately, mine are at the same level. I wonder if multi-level breaking could be handled just by using the following axis instead of following-sibling?

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Writer/Programmer |
|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |