Re: [xsl] xpath trickery (was A Question **TO** XSLT Newbies)

Subject: Re: [xsl] xpath trickery (was A Question **TO** XSLT Newbies)
From: "Mike Haarman" <mhaarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:14:51 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wendell Piez" <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I thought Simon's list of what's confusing about XPath was an excellent
> synopsis, and can only respond to him by recommending -- again -- that some
> time spent going over XPath *without trying to solve a particular
> problem!*, not only its syntax but (more importantly) its data model,
> datatypes, functions (since not all functions in use in XSLT are in XPath!)
> and (yes) casting rules -- is well worth it. If at all possible, with the
> help of an expert. If you have some help disentangling it -- and

In the absence of a handy expert or personal XML coach, I think one can make
some pretty good mileage out of a weekend with Mr. Holman's *Definitive XSLT and
XPath* and Mr. Novatchev's XPath visualisation tool.  Read about particular
idioms and formal constructs and play them out directly.  Change the context or
constraints and watch what happens.  See your node selection as your template
sees it.  I can't second Wendell's advice forcefully enough.  Sit down to play
for a few days and then come to your problem.

Mike