RE: [xsl] XPath: excluding a descendant

Subject: RE: [xsl] XPath: excluding a descendant
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:03:07 +0100
> The aim:
> For providing some quick-and-dirty html output, just making
> sure all data are in there somehow, I want to "dump" all
> content below a certain node (not the root element) to the
> screen. There is, however, one sub-sub-sub-node whose
> contents I want to display on its own in a more structured
> way, and I do not want it duplicated in the dump. Following
> the suggestions I could find for selecting all children
> except for one in the FAQ I constructed this:
>
> <xsl:apply-templates
> select="abcd:Gathering[not(self::LongitudeDecimal)]"/>

This will process all the abcd:Gathering elements that are not
LongitudeDecimal elements. Of course, none of them are.

Without seeing the structure of your XML I find it difficult to tell you
the correct code.

But the simplest way of not processing a particular element (and its
children/descendants) is to write an empty template rule for it:

<xsl:template match="LongitideDecimal"/>

Michael Kay