RE: [xsl] Re: XSLT 2.0: On xsl:sequence and xsl:copy-of

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: XSLT 2.0: On xsl:sequence and xsl:copy-of
From: David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:24:11 +0100
Thanks for another view Michael.

> > Roughly (not using DC speak), the 'as' attribute is the one I
> > want, even if the contents (of xsl:variable in this example)
> > might vary?
>
> "as" on xsl:variable is an assertion about the type. For
> example, if you
> do
>
> <xsl:variable name="x" as="xs:integer" select="my:prime-number()"/>
>
> then you are asserting that the function my:prime-number() will return
> an integer, or a value that can be (loosely-speaking) treated as an
> integer. If it returns an xs:unsignedInteger, your assertion
> is correct,
> because xs:unsignedInteger is a subtype of xs:integer. If it
> returns an
> attribute node that contains an integer, or that contains an untyped
> value that can be read as an integer, then you're also OK. But if the
> function returns a string or a date, then you'll get an error. The
> system can report this error at compile time if it can detect it then,
> otherwise it will be a run-time error.

So rather than saying dear processor I want this function to
return an integer, its almost saying I hope it returns an integer.
I.e. its not a request for a cast, its .... just to keep the typing
system happy (for those that need one :-) I.e. it does little for
the end user.

> > >   <xsl:variable name="foo" as="xs:decimal" select="2" />
> > >
> > > then the static type is a xs:decimal but the type of the
> variable's
> > > value is a xs:integer.
> >
> > ?? Dynamic is integer, static is decimal??
> >
> > Assuming such a cast is viable/allowed, any use of $foo
> > will be as a decimal thereafter in the stylesheet?
>
> You don't get casting here, only the weaker kind of conversion allowed
> in function call and assignment contexts.

Ok, I'm with this now.

 This allows (a)
> extraction of
> the content of a node, (b) numeric promotion (e.g. integer to decimal,
> but not decimal to integer), and (c) casting of untyped values only.
>
> The static type of $foo is xs:decimal, but the dynamic type
> of its value
> is integer. Static types aren't likely to affect XSLT processors
> significantly; they are much more important for some XQuery processors
> (such as Microsoft's) which are proposing to implement "conservative"
> static typing: which means the static type of an expression has to be
> right for the context where it is used, not just the dynamic
> type of its
> value. This might sound complicated but it's exactly what happens in
> many programming languages like Java: it's an error to write
>
> Node n = xyz.getElement();
> abc.setElement(n);
>
> if setElement expects an Element; you have to write
>
> abc.setElement((Element)n);
>
> This kind of cast is written "treat as" in XPath/XQuery (because SQL
> uses "cast" to mean something different).

A view on this could be that its rather anti-user?
'I want it to be an integer' is demoted to 'I'll treat it as an integer if
allowed under the rules'.

> > > As long as the dynamic type (the type of the value that the
> > variable
> > > gets set to) is a subset of the static type (the type of
> > the variable
> > > as declared by the 'as' attribute), you're OK.
> >
> > 'Can be cast to' I guess.
> >

> No: this is nothing to do with casting. You can cast a string
> to a date,
> but you can't use a string in places where a date is expected.

Yes,  Jeni made that clear.

Thanks Michael.

regards DaveP

-