Re: [xsl] Selecting only one element using templates

Subject: Re: [xsl] Selecting only one element using templates
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:01:04 GMT
  Yeah, that's the problem I was having, until I saw that I could apply only
  the template I wanted using the "select" attribute in the apply-templates.

  <xsl:apply-templates select="fruit">

Your terminology is off here which makes me suspect you have the wrong
model of what xslt's doing here. the select attribute on apply-templates
does not relate directly to templates (unlike say the name attribute on
call-template which refers to a named template)  It selects a set of
nodes from the input tree, exactly the same as other select attributes
in xslt as on xsl:value-of or xsl:copy.

Templates are then applied to that set of nodes, and the highest
priority matching templates are applied. (Because of the default
templates, it is always the case that some template will apply to each
nnode in the set). The match attribute for the template that is used may
or may not explictly mention the element matched (fruit here)

David

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew