Re: [xsl] Element type "xsl:stylesheet" must be declared

Subject: Re: [xsl] Element type "xsl:stylesheet" must be declared
From: "Susan" <laborde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:01:06 -0600

> You never _need_ to declare entities in your stylesheet, for example if
> you did not declare nbsp you could just use &#160; instead which is just
> as easy to type, and doesn't involve the syntax complications of a
> <!DOCTYPE at the top, and will produce identical output (since it forms
> identical input to xslt)

I understand the above answer.  Maybe this is a different issue, but I don't
understand the following entity declaration--from the example "Main
stylesheet" in Dave Pawson's "XSL-FO":

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
    <!ENTITY sp "<xsl:text> </xsl:text>">
    ]>
    <xsl:stylesheet

I'm sure the answer is in the book or FAQs, but I can't find it--doubtless
because I'm so new to all this that I don't know where to look.  I'm using
oXygen, and I don't get an error message with the above.  I just don't
understand the purpose of the entity declaration.

Thanks to anyone who doesn't mind answering a rank beginner question.

Susan