Re: [xsl] Optimising XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Optimising XSL
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:11:03 GMT
I can't see anything wrong with that, no uses of // or any other
performance killers, only comment on first line

exclude-result-prefixes="fo">

You can't exclude the fo namespace as i's used in (all) your output
elements.

But having this attribute there makes no difference at all, certainly
doesn't affect performance.

> (4 or 5 seconds for a 3 page document)
beware of java timings, if you are doing this on a command line for a
relatively small stylesheet like this, and relatively small documents
then the java startup time can easily swamp the processing time.
It's possible to keep the JVM running (and probably keep a compiled
stylesheet and run it on several docs without having to recompile it)
if you are prepared to do some java coding. (Others on this list could
give better pointers to that than I can. I must admit I usually don't
worry about jvm startup costs and just re-run the xslt engine from the
command line every time anyway, but you wouldn't want to do that in a
time critical server environment)

David

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew