Re: [xsl] table-row height attribute

Subject: Re: [xsl] table-row height attribute
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:35:09 -0500
At 2004-03-09 20:38 +0000, Mark Williams wrote:
As you probably know, if the text in a cell is too long it wraps to the next
line and increases the row height.  The spec says that specifying a height
fixes the height, by which I  assumed it meant that any wrapping text would
be lost.  Either I've misread the spec

I believe you have misread the spec, though I am having problems myself.

I think the height= doesn't apply to table-row, even though it is in the spec, because the spec says table-row doesn't generate any areas, it only returns areas, and the height= property states that it applies to boxes generated by block-level elements.

So, I think height= is listed with table-row because table-row is a block-level element, but since table-row doesn't generate any boxes, it ends up not applying in the long run.

In my UBL stylesheets when I want to limit the height of a table-cell, I put the lines of text into a block-container that has a height= property and put that block-container into the table-cell. The definition for block-container is that it does, indeed, generate boxes, so that is why height= works.

But then, I'm not and wasn't on the committee itself, so this is conjecture based on my read of the specification. Can someone from the committee comment on this interpretation, please? I hate to mislead anyone, but the explanation above fits the evidence.

And your work-around is to do what I do with my UBL stylesheets: use block-containers with a fixed height and overflow="hidden".

I hope this helps.

--
US XSL training: Washington,DC March 15; San Francisco,CA March 22
World-wide on-site corporate, government & user group XML training