Re: [xsl] misc. confusion on "footnote" handling

Subject: Re: [xsl] misc. confusion on "footnote" handling
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:30:59 -0400
Bruce,

Probably the tricky thing here, more even than getting the citations to render properly, will be numbering the footnotes. When citations are rendered as footnotes, the numbering sequence will have to include citations-not-in-footnotes along with the "real" footnotes, while not numbering citations in footnotes.

This is not impossible to do and get right, but that there is a complication here makes me wonder whether once again two passes wouldn't simplify things a bunch.

The first pass would just wrap all citations not in footnotes, in footnotes. The second pass would handle all footnotes as footnotes, trusting that there won't be any footnotes not marked as such (since they're marked as citations).

Make sense? How amenable is your process to multiple passes? Using XSLT 2.0, as with the problem you had a week or two ago, this can be done transparently.

Incidentally, another design pattern of which you might not be aware is to place most of your code in a common core, but have different stylesheets to invoke for running in different "modes". You might find it much easier to code and maintain the stylesheets if you just invoke one stylesheet to get your citations as footnotes, another one to render them inline with name-year, etc. These two or three stylesheets would each call in the common core, so you wouldn't ever have to maintain the same code in three places. Managing the three different processes separately like this could be much easier than having to trigger off parameters all over the place.

Cheers,
Wendell