Re: [xsl] escaping/entities on the fly?

Subject: Re: [xsl] escaping/entities on the fly?
From: Kevin Rodgers <kevin.rodgers@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:54:50 -0700
Gabriel K. writes:
> That solution did not work for me, but maybe it's just outlook express
> that doesn't do what the rfs wants it to?

That is too vague, especially given all the variables.

1. If you click on the link in the mail message, does your mail
   composition agent put "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?kabelskcccc=E5p?=" in the
   subject line?

2. If you change the address to your own and send it, is the message
   delivered with the subject intact?  Has your mail user agent added
   the appropriate MIME headers:

3. How does your MUA display the subject?

> My link is created like this:
>
> <a>
>     <xsl:attribute name="href">
>         mailto:<xsl:value-of select="$_settings/supportMail"/>?subject=
>         <xsl:value-of select="$_shared/serviceName"/>: <xsl:value-of
> select="$_fullName"/>&#32;<xsl:value-of select="mir:KNP"/>
>
>     </xsl:attribute>
> <xsl:value-of select="$_shared/mailLink/responsible"/>
> </a>
>
> the output of <xsl:value-of select="$_fullName"/> can be "kabelskep" for
> instance.
> So how do you suggest I modify the code?

What does the above XSLT generate?

> I tested to change the encoding in outlook, so that it reads the mail as
> UTF-8, and then it displays the character correctly ("kabelskep").
> However, most e-mail clients will be set to use ISO-8859-1, that's the
> problem.

It won't matter, as long as you send a properly-encoded Subject header.
If the encoding name (whether ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8) matches the =XX
quoted-printable byte sequence you've generated, the MUA should decode
it correctly.

--
Kevin Rodgers