Re: [xsl] More newbie questions

Subject: Re: [xsl] More newbie questions
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:33:20 GMT
> I am using the cdata-section elements command(?) and
There is almost no reason ever to do that, a CDATA section is really
just for human authoring convenience, and is equivalent to using &lt;
and &amp; for every element.

That said it is sometimes (alledgedly) needed for legacy non-xml
systems, but the XSLt engine has absolute free hand over exactly the
markup it uses. It can not always do it in a single block (eg if the
string ]]>appears or any character not in the output encoding)
One way of traping ]]> is to break the CDATA on every > which works but
would have the effect you describe. I seem to remember some discussion
before that libxslt does that. Saxon doesn't which is the system I use
mostly.

But as I say it really doesn't make any difference having no one or
hundreds of cdata sections makes no difference to the information
content that would be extracted by an XML parser parsing the result
document that you have produced.

David

http://www.star.net.uk