[xsl] XSLT in JDK1.5 from the command line

Subject: [xsl] XSLT in JDK1.5 from the command line
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:39:57 -0500
Hi,

Today I have a question. This in itself is not usual, but this particular question I think worth asking in public ... with your indulgence (it's marginally on topic):

Is it possible to invoke an XSLT processor in JDK1.5 without any classpath at all?

With the JDK1.4 I can simply say
java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -V

... and it tells me what version of Xalan it's finding; similarly I can run transforms using this copy of Xalan.

I know that this architecture has been changed in the more recent JDK, but according to

https://jaxp.dev.java.net/JAXP-Compatibility_150.html#invokingXSLT

I should still be able to do this. Unless I misunderstand it.

But after I install JDK1.5, trying the -V option (or anything else) on org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process gets me a NoClassDefFoundError on org/apache/xalan/xslt.

Anyone have any hints? Is there some classpath or environment something I need to be aware of?

Do I have to have an XSLT processor actually on a classpath, or a wrapper class that invokes the JAXP transformer?

Thanks --
Wendell