Re: [xsl] Lightweight XSLT based web framework

Subject: Re: [xsl] Lightweight XSLT based web framework
From: Peter Gerstbach <peter.gerstbach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:45:32 +0200
2005/8/26, Emmanouil Batsis <Emmanouil.Batsis@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Peter Gerstbach wrote:
>
> >I know (and like) cocoon very much, but I need a more simple and
> >smaller system. All I want to have is the possibility to transform XML
> >with XSLT, caching of the results and maybe a system that generates
> >the site-navigation.
>
> That is not a simple system ;-)

Well, I think it is. You just have to parse the URI, find the
corresponding XML, and invoke a transformation. The result must be
cached somewhere (ok, this caching can be very complex). For the
navigation another transformation is needed, inserting some links that
are read from another central XML file.

That's it! I think it should be possible to write such a system within
a day. But why to reinvent the wheel?

> >An integrated CMS would be nice but is not very important.
> >

> Apache Lenya, a CMS on top of Cocoon is exactly what you describe. It
> will take you half an hour to install on a servlet container and go
> through the tutorial. I'd reccomend giving a shot in 1.2.x (1.4 is
> unstable and may give you wrong impressions).

Yes, of course, Cocoon and Lenya are great. Cocoon provides much more
than I need. I'm sure that my requirements can be meet with a simpler
system (described above) that does not need a 30MB installation
(Lenya).

Peter