RE: [xsl] Apply-templates - how to omit top level element tags?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Apply-templates - how to omit top level element tags?
From: "Mike Schinkel" <mikes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:48:10 -0400
>> (Of course you get element nodes, not tags, but leave that for now:-)
so when you add a temnplate for Name that says (just) that element
should not be copied but instead just process it's childen, then Name is
no longer copied. So adding that template hardly changed everything, it
just changed the processing of one element type.

But the output changed from something I could publish to something that
would be very wrong to publish.  And if that change was buried deep in
the output, well, OUCH because we might not catch it.  That's why I say
XSL is fragile.

-Mike

		<xsl:apply-templates/>	<!-- THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
-->
	</xsl:template>

well it does, but why the !?

You had specified that all nodes should be copied, so you get

					<!-- THIS DIDN'T WORK - INCLUDE
<Name/> TAGS -->
					<xsl:apply-templates
select="Name"/>
				</h1>

(Of course you get element nodes, not tags, but leave that for now:-) so
when you add a temnplate for Name that says (just) that element should
not be copied but instead just process it's childen, then Name is no
longer copied. So adding that template hardly changed everything, it
just changed the processing of one element type.

David