[xsl] Need help using variable in select statement

Subject: [xsl] Need help using variable in select statement
From: Frank Stoner <fstoner@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:38:22 -0400
I'm trying to mimic the functionality of a tag used in documenting .NET C# code.
The tag identifies a file and path location of xml content to merge into the source document.

<include file="content.xml" path="/Top/Child[@name='Me']/*" />

The template that I have written to translate this tag is simply:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/ Transform">
<xsl:template match="include">
<xsl:variable name="file" select="@file"/>
<xsl:variable name="path" select="@path"/>
<xsl:copy-of select="document($file)$path"/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

The problem is that the use of the $path variable in the "select=" statement seems to violate some syntax rule and all I get is a complaint about an unexpected token on that line.

Now if I substitute the variable value "Top/Child[@name='Me']/*" in place of the "$path" variable, the template works as expected.

I've tried a number of ways to build the select statement, but none have worked out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Frank