Re: [xsl] XML fragment as a param ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XML fragment as a param ?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:13:14 GMT
    Fraser> Is it possible to pass in an XML fragment as a param and
    Fraser> then access nodes in the fragment as well as those in the
    Fraser> main source instance ??  For example could I compare a

Fraser>I haven't come across data: before. I thought that the document() function
Fraser>accepted a resolvable URI as a parameter, so does the use of data: provide a
Fraser>sort of resolver itself then ?

Note thet document(data: isn't for the case that you are passing in an
XML fragment, it is for the case that you are passing in a string with
some XML markup.

A simpler is just to pass in the XML document itself as the parameter.

then your xsl just looks like

<xsl:param name="otherdoc" select="/.."/>

  <xsl:apply-templates select="$otherdoc/whatever/path/you/need"/>

Thus your xsl doesn't need any functions at all.

How you pass in a node st (typicall, but not always as a DOM object of
some sort) as a parameter depends on the system you are using. Certainly
xalan saxon etc can do this (from the java api, if not from the command
line) but I can't say about xml spy.

David

http://www.star.net.uk