Re: [xsl] Process only nodes on a special axis

Subject: Re: [xsl] Process only nodes on a special axis
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:03:35 -0400
Hi Marco,

At 02:52 PM 8/16/2006, you wrote:
I created a quick and dirty picture about the elements I want to have. You can have a look at it here:
http://www.baumgartl.org/misc/pictures/elements.png

I'm unsure by what criteria you are determining what is an "outermost" element. The expression //element[not(preceding-sibling::element)] would get you the elements with keys 'Lichtausschnitt' and 'li' but not 're', but it would also get you '1,985', and it's not clear from your example why this one wouldn't (or would) be "outermost".

Your XPath expression is not that what I've been looking for :-( because it gives me a lot of other elements that I don't want. I can not really explain it but I think my picture says it all ;-)

I'm afraid it doesn't, unfortunately. It's still not clear why "Lichtausschnitt" and "li" are outermost, but "1,985" is not. If the last-mentioned is not outermost due to the existence of its children, one would expect "li" to be excluded as well, no?

I will restart experimenting with my named template which calls itself recursively. But this time I'm going to integrate your expression because I think that it be very useful for me :-)

Cool, but we're still mystified at this end. :->

For graph-examination problems, we often find complex recursion, pipelining or the introduction of yet-more-powerful methods such as FXSL is called for; but without a clear definition of the problem, it can hardly be solved.

Cheers,
Wendell